Designed by the team behind the United Kingdom’s 12-sided £1 coin, known as ‘the world’s most secure coin’, the Britannia 2024 bullion coin features four innovative security features that make it one of the most visually secure coins in the world.
- The iconic Britannia coin design features four advanced security features
- A latent image changes from a padlock to Britannia’s famous trident
- Surface animation creates movement in the background of waves
- The micro-text provides the coin with both decoration and protection
- Britannia’s shield bears the Union flag, which is accented with tincture lines
- Encapsulated in a single coin capsule
Expertly struck in 999.9 fine gold and enhanced with four security features, Philip Nathan’s depiction of Britannia is as beautiful as ever on this bullion coin. Located in the lower left-hand of the coin design, below Britannia’s gown, a latent image of a trident is visible to represent her naval history. As the viewer changes their perspective, this trident changes visually to a padlock, which emphasises the coin’s secure nature.
The background of the coin incorporates surface animation to reflect the movement of waves and tincture lines carefully highlight fine details, such as the Union flag on Britannia’s shield, to help reinforce security and add definition to the pattern of the flag. These added security features have been incorporated to both decorate and protect the coin, just as the micro-text that borders the design states – ‘DECUS ET TUTAMEN’, which translates as ‘An ornament and a safeguard’.
These additional features are also available on the one kilo and one ounce fine silver editions, half-ounce, quarter-ounce and tenth-ounce fine gold editions and one ounce and tenth-ounce fine platinum editions of the coin.